Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: upgraded to Sansui TU-717 (from 217) and now have intermittent interference when listening to a close, strong statio

I'm guessing that the antenna on the back of the tuner is a bar antenna that's only for A.M., so that''s probably not the issue. It sounds like the issue is when you are in exactly the right position some of the signal from the strong station counces off you and hits your antenna inphase with the direct signal from the station. You are the source of a multipath situation! It sounds like the strong signal is always on the verge of swamping your front end and reflections from you send it over the edge.

First, try repositioning your antenna, but I doubt that that will work.

Perhaps your tuner has a near/far or low/high sensitivity switch. When not listening to the distant station, you could keep that turned to near or low. It's an attenuator that wastes some of the signal.

After you've tried these quick and no-cost things and they don't work, I think you'll have to pony up for a directional antenna. If a nondirectional antenna has adequate sensitivity, then a really cheap directional antenna in your attic ought to do the trick. Just point it at the distant transmitter. It should work fine there and still have enough sensitivity for local stations, even though pointed away from their transmitters.

Good luck! Wish I had a local station worth listening to.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: upgraded to Sansui TU-717 (from 217) and now have intermittent interference when listening to a close, strong statio - lipmanl 12:01:36 01/30/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.