Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Scott 330D mono tube tuner

jcmusic,

I have a Scott 330D mono tube tuner. and though I haven't spent a tremendous amopunt of time with it, the sound of this is so involving I may become an advocate for mono FM- it seems so dynamically nimble and open and with a strong but transparent bass= plus much quieter.

The Scott I have was a gift and I it was gone through and aligned years ago by no less than Bob Hovland. I never heard it before this work so I can;t compare the sound, but apparently it was already in good nick and only a couple capacitors and tubes were changed.

The tubes at the moment:

2- 12AU7 1956 CBS 5814A black plate, stirrup getter
4- 6AU6A Tung-Sol
6U8- HH SCOTT by RCA
6BA6- HH SCott by RCA
6BE6 -Telefunken
6CN7 -Raytheon
6BS8 -HH Scott by RCA
6X4 -Sylvania black plate square getter

- A key to the sound are the 2- CBS 5814As for the 12AU7's- replacing Telefunkens and serving up an amazingly good bass- that's a great 12AU7!

I have a Heathkit AC-11 MPX decoder which would plug into the Scott to make stereo, but the mono sound is so good- I've never been tempted to rehabilitate and connect it.

The Scott is not perfect by any means- it needs a very good signal, but it doesn't drift, the sound is solid and as I say wonderfully listenable for hours. As I listen to solo keyboard and Lieder often, I don' miss the lack of soundstage- as I say, I could easily be a convert to mono FM . My other tuners: Revox B160, McIntosh MR77, and McIntosh MR67 I put in a different category and the Scott provides a wider range of listening qualities.

There is mention elsewhere in the thread that tube tuners need a bit of system matching and I think this is very true- the Scott actaully is more interesting through my solid state office system -Audio Research LS3/D130 which is amazingly neutral. If I run the Scott thoguth vintage tube McIntosh, the transparent, nimble qualities are slightly dampened.

In the right system, I think these Scott mono tube tuners are wonderful sounding and great value.

Cheers,

Bambi B

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.