Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

If you are exploring tube tuners ....

...(maybe you already have one) ... you might want to expand your consideration to others beyond Scott. I have several pieces of Scott and would not give them up but my faithful, well-loved tubed tuner in my system is a Sherwood S-3000. There are excellent Scotts, Fishers, Eico's, Sherwoods, etc.

Tube tuners, like all things audio, are synergistic with the rest of the system. However, if you are just at the point of considering a tube tuner, I encourage you to take the plunge; I doubt I'll ever change back from tubes in my 'radio'.

Tuner alignments: Someone who really knows what they are doing can extract that last bit of magic from your tuner (or correct more fundamental problems); someone who doesn't really know what the are doing can muck the tuner up in some cases beyond repair. It can be a good idea but I'd proceed carefully with deciding who was going to do what. You can get some great recommendations here if you decide to go that route.

Tubes in the tuner make a difference but you can't really just 'roll' tubes in a tuner like you can with an amp; other adjustments are usually required if you change out the tube set.

One more consideration: personally, I love the music from a good mono tuner without MPX. Something to try ; )

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • If you are exploring tube tuners .... - PureAudio 05:14:49 01/13/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.