Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Thanks for the responses

I've been to the TIC web page but not to the Yahoo group (yet).

Thanks for the Joseph Chow recommendation. I also found Ed Hanlon (APS) has done work on the T-101.

By the way, I guess I should have mentioned what I'm looking for:

From the standpoint of tuning performance, I'm happy with the selectivity and sensitivity as is. It's certainly better in those regards than the modern tuners I've used and I can pull in anything I want (within reason). I'm not sure I'm happy with the noise level though. Even on the strongest stations, there is a fair amount of background noise present, which seems to vary depending on weather conditions. I've also noticed the same thing at my house with other tuners - but I guess I had hoped the Accuphase would be quieter.

Sonically, it's pretty good already. It has a full, tonally accurate midrange and a wide, deep soundstage with great imaging. But the top end is a little bit more dark and rolled off than I would like, and the bass is just a bit tubby.

I could do audio section mods myself. The high quality modular construction makes this unit so easy to work on, I would even enjoy it. What I definitely can't do is align it - or even tell if it needs to be aligned. I also don't think I can do anything about the noise, but I'm not sure mods will help that either; I may just live in a RFI rich environment. I guess I will just email Mr. Chow and Mr. Hanlon and see what they think they can do.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.