Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

NOPE, I disagree, what you almost certainly NEED is a much better antenna preferably external

Pur in some extra wall-plate outlets for the two portables, too if you like.

When WILL people get this - that the tuner can only ever be as good as its antenna. The antenna and tuner can only be usefully considered as a single 'radio system' / together!

At FM frequencies wavelengths are about a meter long.

FM's sound quality - 'in stereo' - can ONLY be maximised by a directional antenna with gain - IMO & LONG experience, and - by definition - in it's operation.

The two whips sold by MD and Fanfare are re-badged boat antennas which can be bought at ships chandlers for a good deal less! They are a rip off, see?

A decent folded dipole (mostly made of TV ribbon and less than 10 bucks) and oriented for each station will nearly always be better than a whip, so would a set of TV rabbit ears! ? Yep!

You may be able to stretch some wire rhombics on yr ceiling or under a big rug pointed at yr two desired stations.

Do some searches here about rhombics, IMO the only really serious indoor antenna that can match or better external directional antennas (ones with a boom and elements across it).

Warmest

Timbo in Oz
The Skyptical Mensurer and Audio Scrounger

'Still not saluting.'

Read about and view system at:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/tim_bailey.htm

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • NOPE, I disagree, what you almost certainly NEED is a much better antenna preferably external - Timbo in Oz 16:27:51 12/28/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.