Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: Need a Good FM Indoor Antenna. Any Suggestions

If you live in a house with an attic, tape your cheap dipole straight and flat to a 60 inch piece of thin lath or broom handle, take it up there, hang it from the rafter vertically, run the twin-lead straight out from it about 3 feet, then run it down thru a hole in the ceiling to the tuner, twisting the twin-lead at least one twist per foot to reject signal pickup via the lead-in. Don't buy one of the $80 vertical whips, they don't perform any better.
If no attic or in an appartment, stick it (vertically oriented) out a window similarly. In any case, get it as high as you can, and as far from any electric wires and other conductors as possible. Aluminum probably won't hurt reception much, but keep it away from it.
The DIY modified quad is a good idea, too. Unlike the vertical dipole (which is omni-directional), it must be rotated broadside to the station. Be sure to read ALL the posts carefully, esp. mine and Ron's, and DO go to www.thefsb.org/misc.html, read it, and view the animated 3D display of the geometry of the antenna. The sketch in the body of thefsb page is very misleading. Better yet, ask me to send you my re-do of the instructions from thefsb page, with a better sketch. Dale Meyn dmva@worldnet.att.net.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.