Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: Better antenna = Stereo?

I'd echo the other poster about the probability that this station IS broadcasting in stereo. One indicator of weak signal strength is mono reception or drift in and out of stereo. But that can also be a problem with the reception and discrimination from a weak or distorted signal at the receiver end.

Easiest thing to do is to try various methods to boost the signal.
1) direction - find out where the transmitter is and rotate your antenna
2) boost the signal strength with a coax amp (some say no, but my RS amp works great for me)
3) improve your antenna's capacity by various tweaks
4) change your cable to low loss RG6 quad sheild, shorten the runs if possible, and improve your connections
5) get a good balun, even the gold version of the RS is an improvement

Everything I just said can be found on Brian Beezley's FM site. Don't worry about the graphs and the math, just concentrate on what he says about the simple tweaks, directionality and power of various antenna configurations.

I'm using the same antenna to superb results in the SF Bay Area. My stations may be nearer than yours and there are undoubtedly other differences too. But all of the above works for me to improve my signal significantly. And I"m enjoying stereo....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Better antenna = Stereo? - bartc 06:37:29 12/15/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.