Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

How about a good mono tube tuner?

cids,

In my view, the McIntosh MR74 and MR77 are the best sounding McIntosh solid state tuners, so you're starting at near the top level.

In a mono system of course the stereo aspect is lost so you might consider a good mono tube tuner. I like mono FM- it seems actually dynmaic and quiet. and I'd second lipman1 recommendation for a Scott. The Scott mono tube tuners are really good. I have a 1958 Scott 330D that was realigned and a few capacitors changed and this has a fantastic tuner sound. With some good NOS, it rivals the McIntosh MX110 I've been using as a tuner for 15+ years. It's pleasant too that esp. the mono Scotts are are not very expensive.

I have a McIntosh MR77 and use a Revox B160 (1989) in the office, but the best sound I've ever heard in the FM realm has been the McIntosh MR67 (1964, tube, stereo). I find the MR67 to be a bit more open and dynamic than the MR71, without knowing the technical the reasons. It's pleasant for me that I like the MR67 more and those are a bit cheaper than the MR71.

In some way, a Marantz 10B- which are complex and really expensive now- seems a bit overkill in a tube mono system, but it may be good investment and of course would suit any high end system you might ever assemble.

Generally, my suggestion would be to try a good tube, mono tuner like the earlier Scotts. I don't have experience with the Fisher component tuners but Fisher tube stuff seems really well made and a 60 mono or 100 or 200 stereo might be a nice solution for you. My 1965 800D reciever makes a wonderful FM sound on it's 40 year-old tubes. They are much better than the price suggests!

Cheers,

Bambi B

[McIntosh: MX110, MR67, and MR77, Scott 330D, Revox B160]

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • How about a good mono tube tuner? - Bambi B 16:28:23 12/12/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.