Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Variety of music and the chance . . .

. . . to hear new things?

Believe me, we had all of that before.

That was AM up to the early '70s. A veritable vast lending library of listening (and cultural) diversity. And good sounding most of the time, too.

I've sat in too many cars lately running XM or other satellite/digital radio feeds. Even with all those Bose speakers and 14 amplifiers pumping endless megawatts everywhere, it dosen't sound all that great. The home based digital radio systems don't sound any better. Not much better than a good vintage era AM front end did. Really. Sit down with a '50s Telefunken or AM-FM Scott or Fisher tuner section, and you'll be floored. Now it's all jammed on one lousy sounding LSIC, so AM (and most FM) is deemed crap by the masses.

And for the highbrows who were into Hi-Fi back then, we had FM. Really nice uncompressed FM with plenty of live feeds and direct from the turntable broadcasts.

We had plenty of audio variety back then. Except it sounded better and we didn't have to pay for it. And most of the broadcasters were true independent stations.

Now you've still got 5000 channels - all coming from one or two vendors.

I guarantee that in under five years, you'll still be paying for your digital radio - but listening to advertising. Lots of it. Across all 5000 channels of it. Guaranteed.

That some of us now peg Redbook CD as the quality benchmark for audio speaks volumes.

People are such lemmings sometimes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.