Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: Hello XM Radio: the solution: anyone modding Polk XM tuner???nt

No mod of the Polk tuner can compensate for the piss-poor bitrate of the XM Radio CODEC. Let's assume, for discussion, that XM's best channel broadcasts a bit rate of say 160Kbps.

A CD bitrate is 1,440Kbps.

So the best the XM Channel can do is send you approximately 10% of the music that was on the CD. And the other 90% or so of the bits are discarded because XM Radio uses a LOSSY bit rate.

So, if I opened a resturant and advertised 16 oz. steaks, and I served you one that was only 1.6 oz. after cooking, and I told you it was "Kobe Beef" quality, would you be happy?

I rest my case.

I don't know if you're a "Generation Y" demograhic person, but if you are, chances are you have already ruined your hearing by listing to iPods and MP3 players at way too high a listening level.

Personally, I'm buying stock in Beltone and the other major hearing aid companies because those of you who've been listning to 90Db+ music on your iPods and MP3 players are going to have serious hearing problems by the time you hit your 30's and my investments will really pay off when you go into get fitted for your new hearing aids :-(

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Hello XM Radio: the solution: anyone modding Polk XM tuner???nt - Vinyl Rules! 22:49:45 12/22/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.