Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: my 10B experiences sound like...

Hi, caffeinator!

Kenwood tuners are superb sounding and represent quite a bargain, as compared to the alternatives out there. One advantage that I have found is that they show up in local flea markets and the sellers rarely know about their inherent value, sonically or monetarily.

A good number of the best tuners I have ever owned have come from excursions to local Bay Area flea markets. All three of my Yamaha CT-7000's, some of my Fishers and every one of the Kenwoodsd were acquired this way.

You asked what I thought of the 10-B' looks?

Put yourself back in about 1962-3 when it was introduced and imagine what we audiophiles thought of an FM tuner which retailed for $600 in a market where that kind of money would almost get you a Fisher 500-C and a pair of AR-3a's and you will have an answer!

It was supremely unaffordible except for the Doctor/Lawyer class, who largely purchased them.

I still own three examples, one in an original professional 19" rackmount faceplate and it sits attached to the proper support bracket in my living room rack.

Yes, they are beautiful, particularly in the dark!

YOU SHOULD NEVER TRY TO CLEAN THE GLASS PANES IN A 10-B WITH WINDEX or you will be singing a very bluesy tune! I have to tell you that I often hear from folks whose 10-B dials are clean as a whistle, with no more lettering on them!

Anyway, thanks and happy listening!

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: my 10B experiences sound like... - Marantzguy 15:01:58 11/30/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.