Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

A bad situation ...

My NPR outlet has been booted from several frequencies in the past two years because, say FCC rules, full-power FM transmitters get priority over translators. So, if a little translator is said to cause even the slightest interference to a big-boy transmitter, they have to move.

On top of that, a translator can't "pick" a clear frequency in the intended coverage area and broadcast on that frequency. Once a translator license has been granted by the FCC, they, I understand are locked into a formula that pre-determines where they can move up or down the FM band.

In my translator's case, they moved up and down the band and have landed now on 90.9 with a strong station at 90.5 and another at 90.1. The antenna for latter two is clearly visible from the living room.

On the other hand, the so-called "local" translator site is, literally, in another county and broadcasting to a lot of cows as it makes its way toward my abode. Still, there is a decent signal and with a little antenna angling I can block out the two adjacent channels on my "good" gear (not so on the cheap boomboxes) but the signal sits in a bed of unpleasant hiss.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A bad situation ... - SamA 15:13:07 11/14/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.