Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: this mobe may have a Service manual - you have to figure out how much though seach the site

Update on the KT-8007 lamp situation:

I sort of find it challenging to pay $7 each, plus shipping, for a miniature indicator lamp.

So, over the weekend, here is something I discovered about an alternative way to remedy my situation as concerns replacement of all lamps inside this Kenwood KT-8007, formerly their top-of-the-line FM/AM stereo tuner from 1974:

First of all, I removed all of the lamps in my KT-8007. At Al Lasher Electronics in Berkeley, $5.70 got me about a dozen 10 volt, 70 mV miniatures pig-tail lamps for the indicator “flags” and they worked just fine. The two smaller diameter frosted lamps which illuminate the meters are probably also 8 volt-rated, but I have read somewhere that they are most likely 200 mV. When I substituted some 10 volt, 70 mV miniatures, the illumination was a bit dim by my judgment, but not too shabby, nevertheless. I could always sub some mini 6-volt lamps at say, 200 mV instead, just to see what happens.

In any event, here is what I have discovered about retrofitting the dial lamp assembly with even more common parts, and this may also apply for folks using various Sansui products which feature those Stanley "rubber-boat" slip-on modules for the twin-pin fixture:

As always, I like to find reasonable ways to accommodate repairs and restoration of things like these tuners. Obviously, I do not want to spend nearly forty or fifty dollars on lamp replacements for the whole tuner. That is insane, in my opinion.

As it turns out, if you take a type 50, screw-base incandescent mini-globe lamp and install it in a common screw-type base found right off the shelf of any Radio Shack Store, there is a way to adapt this fixture to fit the bi-pin lamp holder in the Kenwood tuner. The type 50 miniature globe lamps are usually about 7.5 volts at 250 mV. The first thing I did was to bend the right-angle mounting flange on the RS fixture straight, so it would rest flush against the non-conductive side of the phenolic circuit board inside the tuner. Next, I enlarged the hole in one of the two brass tabs on the RS screw bracket, so one end would slip right over one of the two pins in the original Kenwood fixture. Then, I snipped through the hole on the other screw mount fixture tab and enlarged the cut making a little “V” opening, just large enough so that it would come to rest right over the other pin on the Kenwood lamp assembly board for the dial. This way, the new screw mount RS fixture literally sits snugly against the original Kenwood phenolic circuit board for the lamp assembly just behind the dial glass portion of the tuner.

All I need to do now is to spot-solder four of the new fixtures in place, followed by insulating the fixtures to keep them from touching the edges of the existing metallic opening through which the bulbs will rest and light will pass to the dial.

If necessary, I plan to use Deka transparent artists paint for glass, in order to properly tint the lamps for a mellow green or blue "appearance".

"Be Clever and Creative" is my motto!

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: this mobe may have a Service manual - you have to figure out how much though seach the site - Marantzguy 16:35:42 11/13/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.