Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: I read that you do have a rotator, whoops!?

Yep, all horizontal tests done on rotator. Verticals, of course, don't need it, they're omni in the horizontal plane. It's always kind of puzzled me why people buy these ST-2 and other expensive vertical whips when a vertical twin lead half wave will do as well, at a small fraction of the cost. So far as the FM-6 is concerned, I have a message in to Antennacraft, haven't gotten a reply yet.
I have noticed that not only it, but also the simple dipole and the twin lead dipole when horizontal, all find one or two stations which although coming in with reasonable signal strength, have either a lot of distortion, or no audio at all, whereas the vertical twin lead dipole gets them all without those problems. The simple answer is that multipath reception is practically nil with the vertical antenna, and even the FM-6 is not able to find a good pointing for multipath rejection.
The FM6 does have a deep null at the sides, and a marked front-to-back ratio as expected, but just doesn't have the kind of forward gain I hoped for vs the twin-lead dipole, whether vertical or horizontal. Should average 6dB, but only gets up about 1-2 dB at most. I'll try to find and look over the reference you supplied, I don't have much antenna smarts, just know how to set one up and measure it's performance. Thanks for the comments.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread

You can not post to an archived thread.