Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

FM-6 Antenna (lack of) performance

I recently got an AntennaCraft FM-6 small yagi antenna with advertised 6dB gain (vs. halfwave dipole), hoping for much improved reception. Because of HOA rules, installed it in the attic (about 11 ft. up) on a rotator. To my disappointment, it is no better than the existing vertical folded halfwave dipole already up there (same area). The vertical dipole is omni-directional, needs no rotator, made from old TV twin-lead. In fact, the FM-6 is unable to deliver good signal for some stations which come in clearly with the vertical folded dipole. I took a TV rabbit ear, set the dipole length to 57 inches, mounted it on the rotator in place of the FM-6, and got very similar reception. I've examined the FM-6 carefully, can find no visible defects, all the elements are straight and properly deployed, using the same 300-75 balun to match the 75 ohm downlead (50 feet, quad shield) for all antennas. What the blank is going on? Does anyone have comparative results for the FM-6 vs. a folded dipole similarly located? I have a feeling the most significant different between them is that the folded dipole is usually mounted near the tuner in living space, whereas the FM-6 (and other outdoor "high gain" antennas are usually mounted high up outside or in an attic. I'm reluctant to buy another FM-6 (same as the famous Radio Shack small yagi) and repeat the experiments.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - FM-6 Antenna (lack of) performance - DAMeyn 15:30:25 11/06/06 (9)

You can not post to an archived thread.