Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

digitalitis

I was talking today with the manager of our local community radio station WWOZ New Orleans (streaming at wwoz.org), one of the few all locally programmed, all music public stations left I suppose. He reminded me that within x years (maybe 5) the FCC will force all broadcasting to go digital. He gave me the impression that after a certain point they won't be permitted to broadcast an analog signal even if they want to. Is this indeed true? I asked him if an analog tuner could still be used with some sort of D/A converter to receive the digital signal, since they would still be broadcasting at the same frequencey. He didn't really know that much about the technical details, but since we both own McIntosh tuners we both considered if we should sell them soon before they become next to worthless (at least in the U.S.A.)

One thing he said that made an unfortunate form of sense, given the FCC's abandonment of the public interest in favor of the military-entertainment complex, is that RIAA (and no doubt ASCAP and BMI) are pressing this change because it will invalidate the old contracts and arrangements with the broadcast industry over license fees and payments, and they feel they are in position to press for a better deal. This certainly will put even greater pressure on public and non-profit radio broadcasting, perhaps accelerating the move towards talk in place of music on the public end of the dial. I suggested the perhaps the answer was to return to broadcasting live music (no RIAA) that was not copywrited (folk music, or on the spot free-improv!!!--no BMI or ASCAP.) Acutually that would be a great idea for WWOZ, since New Orleans still has a viable live music culture, but I won't hold my breath . . .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - digitalitis - belyin 19:13:02 09/18/06 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.