Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

the 6500 and folded / dipoles in general, AND more on 'giving you the drum'

The AP 6500 is no longer made.

It is IIRC an 'adapted' folded dipole - in a cardboard tube for appearance reasons - and IIRC slightly more directional than an ordinary folded dipole, but bugger all gain, really.

And, you will still have to point it, each time you change stations.

If you searched here you would find there is a similar alternative available.

but I still have no way of advising you if it even could, work.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?forum=tuner&searchtext=Audio+Prism+6500

How you feel.

Your feelings are important to me, but I don't believe you were born without free choice, were you?

You could have chosen 'to be informed' instead, no?

Because you were being informed, intently. And it made you feel ignorant, so, definitely!

I wasn't there with you at the time was I, twisting your arm, and in your face? I am a very long way away!

Lastly, I am often a lot more blunt than that, diddums.

I was and am still willing to bet that you didn't search here under Audio Prism 6500, or 'indoor antennas' or 'antennas!' Did you?

Because, if you had you should (might?*) have had the answers. (after comprehending* and summarising* key-points*, over a series of posts!)

And I did ask you to provide some info about where you are etc etc, no? And, conveyed that these factors matter to whether the 6500 - might 'just' be up to the job - for your situation - about which we here still know nothing!

Did you know any of the factors I mentioned?

And, if not - could you have found them out for yourself, on the web?

YES!

Indoor VHF antennas (TV or FM) tend to be small# and thus don't have sufficient gain, or directionality, to work well in most urban or metropolitan environments.

And, you can only use them effectively in a building which isn't an RF shield. Most apartment buildings are.

Hence the FCC's ruling allowing external TV antennas, which you 'might' use to get around your problems by using an external 'CH6 TV antenna' - which is an FM antenna, too ;-)!
All here, to be searched for!

# the only large / truly effective indoor antenna, and you can hide it, is a rhombic - about which a search here on indoor antennas would have informed you.

BUT, you would need to know that all your desired stations are - and with in a small 20-30 degree arc from where you are - and out through a window if it is a ferroconcrete building. Why?

Because a rhombic is VERY directional, which you would rather not be told you need?

From here on in you can give yourself the drum on this subject.

Warmest

Timbo in Oz
The Skyptical Mensurer and Audio Scrounger

'Still not saluting.'

Read about and view system at:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/tim_bailey.htm

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • the 6500 and folded / dipoles in general, AND more on 'giving you the drum' - Timbo in Oz 21:34:15 09/07/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.