Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Holy moley, I am now a full believer!

Yes, my advice that you can use the TV combo antenna is correct but FAR FROM OPTIMAL.

I just ran my own experiment, because I've been screwing around for years with various components of my FM chain up to my attic TV/combo antenna. I am now floored at how stupid I could have been.

Bought a Radio Shack FM specific high gain antenna and a better quality balun from them. Figured I had nothing to lose, since they're returnable. Unhooked my attic cable/antenna and rehooked up the RS stuff down near ground level outside the house and fooled around with orientation with my son's help.

Holy crap! At 5' or 3' or even 1.5' height sitting on chairs and not even properly hooked up this made my receiver sing. Every station suddently came in clearly with greater wider soundstage and detail (all HF improvements), strength of signal, no static or fading or fuzzing at all. Very very very good reception with sound that could fool you into thinking it's a CD if you didn't know better. No, it won't fully rival my CDP, but it's a good contender, believe me.

Oh, best part is that the antenna was $25 and the balun was $7. Go figure, I made a highly significant improvement and solved my problems for under $35 including tax.

Of course YMMV, but now I can really see that it pays to buy whatever FM specific quality antenna you can afford and hook up in your house to mate with your high quality receiver. Period. End of story.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Holy moley, I am now a full believer! - bartc 21:23:28 09/05/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.