Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

summing up AND other possibilities,

If it IS a problem with - your - 'radio reception system' then best investment is....

If you can get a directional external antenna this would help a lot with selectivity. Especially if the source of the low level stuff IS another station that isn't in the same direction, ie >45 degrees off.

A better interior antenna even a dipole OR rabbit ears may/not help.

Does the tuner have a narrow/wide switch, for FM? If not I'd only go for narrower filters (on the narrow setting) - as it might affect the audio on all other stations -

AFTER you have examined the antenna possibilities.

The other possibilities, depend on 1* if the station is part of a wider group with several audio streams and is using digital within its operations to manage all this.

All you need is one earthy/leaky current path and it can happen. 2. The other possibilities? is if they are using the area above 50k for other services piggy-backed on that frequency , such as MUSAK, OR the dreaded IBOC.

*I used to think that my car's FM front end had a problem. On the strongest by far FM staion here - in most other Aussie capital cities too - I could always hear low level talking etc down low in the mix.

This station allows you to listen on-line via the WWWank, and a few weeks ago IT was there on ALL the LOW BITRATE streams from their central outlet in Sydney. They promised to try to fix it and it swapped channels, ;-)!

Now I don't want my hatred the world view that 'digital is always and everywhere the best', to get in the way here.

But this station just will NOT play vinyl anymore because it went all digital - internally and etc - some time back.

I would be willing to bet that the problem I hear is an earthy current revealed by digital's usually very low crosstalk. I would be surprised if it was digital crosstalk, but it could be.

Possibly from one of their other 2 national services, the one which IS mostly talk. All 3 are distributed to local transmitters via satellite at 512KBPS using MPEG layer 2 adjusted for best starting transients of all notes, and noise, then decoded into analogue L and R signals, multiplexed and broadcast. It still does a good job on harpsichords!

I would ask any other phile FM stereo listener, about their expereince with THE station, and then have a talk to the station / an engineer there, as well as looking into the best antenna you can manage home/house/lease wise.

okay?

Warmest

Timbo in Oz
The Skyptical Mensurer and Audio Scrounger

'Still not saluting.'

Read about and view system at:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/tim_bailey.htm

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.