Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: I'd have a hard time spending that much cash on a "cardboard tube" filled with who-knows-what; my choich would be...

Who-knows-what may just be a cylinder of metal window screen or foil inside the cardboard (2 perhaps, one per side to make a dipole); the larger diameter equals the shorter length vs a conventional wire dipole or even TV-lead folded dipole that comes with many tuners. An older ARRL yearbook or ARRL Antennna book will have math for diameter vs length of radiators. The ol' home-brewed wad or reflector of kitchen foil at the ends of TV rabbit ears mimics the same capacitance loading effect & as long as in the attic appearance is a non factor. *Tunable* TV rabbit ears are nice indoor antennas tho (reduce extended length somewhat), the rotary tuning switch typically selects one or the other or both sides in various left/right connections (and the usual sloppy appearance of the end kitchen foil was mitigated by folding & pressing over a permanent cardboard form if you deem this capacitive end-loading useful).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I'd have a hard time spending that much cash on a "cardboard tube" filled with who-knows-what; my choich would be... - Ron Oehlert 11:35:58 08/16/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.