Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: What is a good office radio with excellent FM reception?

I would start with a benchmark-quality high-performance mono portable to see what can be captured before dipping into more expensive higher fidelity receivers. If something like a GE Superadio II can't draw a decent signal, then you have more fundamental problems that may require an external antenna solution to overcome. It appears from your post that you have very limited antenna options at your disposal.

BTW, the now-collectable Superadio I and IIs deliver very good audio performance on top of exceptional RF capture, if you don't mind the 1980's looks and the monophonic delivery.

Obviously, where signal issues exist, the first thing that often gets sacrificed is MPX. If that is the case for this location and you do not wish or are unable to remedy those problems, then it makes more sense to stick with a mono receiver setup. Forcing stereo reception in poor signal areas usually results in twice as much bad sound.

If signal strength is fair, I'd also look at some of the '50s vintage German table radios, such as a Grundig for FM, which can deliver stellar monophonic audio performance. I would take a mono German radio working a modest OTA signal over internet stereo reception any day.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What is a good office radio with excellent FM reception? - sgmlaw 13:13:45 08/07/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.