Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: I'd recommend a Carver TX-11.....

theaudiohiffle wrote: (A) on July 17, 2006 at 19:23:07

"(forget those guys at FMinfo.com...all they want is bass as far as I can tell)..and readily available on eBay for under $200 (they were $650 when new in 1980). The aren't cheap modern crap, and they aren't touchy old vintage gear. They stay in alignment and just sit there and sing. Only problem is an occasional sticky push button."

I take exception - I am one of "those guys" at www.fmtunerinfo.com and what we want is ACCURATE sound and the ability to DX distant stations.

When I read a statement like yours above, I am reminded that many like you are overly sensitive to owning a tuner (or other piece of stereo equipment) that is not (or has not been) praised by the experts in the field.

Like it or not, the pholks at www.fmtunerinfo.com has probably forgotten more about tuners than you've yet to learn, and we ARE the experts in the area of FM tuners. Please name another group that has over 3,700 extremely knowledgeable members, many of who are professional engineers and/or work in the broadcasting profession, and have members who also write for several of the well-regarded audio magazines ;-)

And I'm guessing your comment about our group is driven by our group's concensus of your own tuner, where we state, "Although there are always those with differing opinions, the majority now find the TX-11 mediocre-sounding or worse in stereo, with poor separation. Our contributor John V. adds that the TX-11 has "fair to decent bass, but the top end sorta sizzles - no real extension or details." Our own view is that most good vintage tuners are only one or two narrow filters away from being as good as, or better than the TX-11 for DXing, while also satisfying audiophiles. As to the possibility of modifying a TX-11 for improved sound, our DIY audiophile panelist Jim owned one for awhile, but "wasn't impressed with the sound and looking in on those multi-tiered boards of digital madness made me back off trying to improve anything."

You simply do not like us because we found your Carver TX-11 not worthy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I'd recommend a Carver TX-11..... - Vinyl Rules! 10:13:01 07/27/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.