Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: Select-a-tenna or DIY loop

I have been using a kit built AM loop antenna modeled after the "Carver Ultimate Loop".

http://members.cox.net/rwagoner/columns/am_antenna.html

You can build this yourself. The hooks to hold the wire at the four corners are "shoulder hooks" available in hardware stores. They are similar to cup hooks, but straight, with a 90* bend on the end. These hooks and the center screw on the crossbar MUST be brass, not steel. Brass is non-inductive.

Or you can buy a nice kit, ready to stain and finish. I used Minwax stain (little yellow and red cans) and Minwax water based poly acrylic varnish, blue spray can, two coats.

Below is a link to an ebay sale. This fellow, ebay ID jburns1987, regularly sells these kits. There are two sizes, get the large one, the 17" model, not the small 9".

I'll link a photo of one of Burn's kits I built.

So, how does it work? GREAT! I now have three of these. One is in my metal shop, a virtual "Faraday Cage". I get good AM during the day from local stations, and area stations, including a 5000 watt station that is 190 miles away.

At night I get, from here on the La Gulf Coast, WSB in Atlanta, WOAI in San Antonio, KBAP in Ft. Worth, KXKW in Shreveport, LA, KMOX in St. Louis, and as often as not, WLS in Chicago (though somewhat noisy).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Select-a-tenna or DIY loop - Paul C. 23:43:54 07/22/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.