Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: I'd recommend a Carver TX-11.....

I can only point out that your opinion here runs contrary to the majority of people regarding both the Carver TX-11/A/B and most top of the line Pioneers. Most people seem top think the later Carver A and B version sound better.

Without knowing the specific Pioneer model, it's hard to say, and there is no "brand" sound, every model must be evaluated independently. In general, the F9, F90, and F99X digital tuned Pioneer units are well reviewed by all those that have listened, are are great used deals now. Pioneer invested heavily in FM tuner technology. Most the top Pioneer models starting with the analog TX-9100 (a great deal if you don't need "narrow IF")are felt to be great sounding units as reported by TIC contributors (serious FM listeners) over the last 5 years.

Your implication that contributors and panelists at FMTunerinfo.com only listen to bass heavy and electronic rock music is dead wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most are over 50 years old, and listen to acoustic based jazz, classical, bluegrass, folk, etc for judging the tuners sound. All the tuner "shootouts" are done level matched in direct comparison to a reference unit, via remote control.

As always, YMMV, and with tuners more than other audio units, alignment directly affects what you hear. It is possible to get a bad one (that can be fixed). It's also possible to "like" a kind of sound, or sound of a tuner, that most others don't. It can present a synergy to your particular setup that makes it work. But if your opinion runs contrary to most everyone elses, don't shoot the messenger!

Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I'd recommend a Carver TX-11..... - BFitz 07:34:18 07/19/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.