Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: Advice on an Tuner: Dynaco FM-5 or Kenwood KT-8300 or

I e-mailed Frank and sent him a link to the e-bay advertisement. He graciously wrote back and told me that it appeared to be a late version of one of his modifications. I quote his e-mail below. Based on his response, I wonder if I would be better off looking for a Kenwood KT-8300 or even buying the modern Marnatz ST6600? Again, advice is welcome!

"This appears to be the final AVA tuner circuit set we built for the Dyna FM-5 chassis many years ago. The original Dyna "guts" are gone and are replaced by our own original design. It was a VERY good sounding tuner.

If the front end assembly (metal box under the large tuning drum) is still good, then it could be a very good buy. It did not have outstanding sensitivity, but in a decent reception area it is excellent. The "weak link" is the original Dyna front end assembly (not repairable). If that goes south the tuner is done for.

A test is to tune the tuner to inter-channel noise (not to a station) up around 108 on the dial and listen to the sound of the noise. If is pure steady "white noise" all is ok. If it has a cycling "sput, sput, sput" characteristic, it means the front end is starting to oscillate at high frequency and is not long for this world.

Note that there are no repair parts available for the original Dyna metal and mechanical bits and that we no longer provide service for these old units."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Advice on an Tuner: Dynaco FM-5 or Kenwood KT-8300 or - Michael10 18:00:00 04/04/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.