Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Re: Advice on an Tuner: Dynaco FM-5 or Kenwood KT-8300 or

I have one of the Van Alstine FM-5 "Supertuner" tuners and a Harman Kardon Citation HK23. Several years ago, I did a pretty careful A/B comparison between them listening to non-commercial stations at the low end of the dial[here in Houston]. I was using my roof-mounted, very directional, Radio Shack 10-element antenna with a rotator.
The result: I could not pick between them. They both sounded very good. I ended up putting the Van Alstine in storage, because it has no interstation muting circuit and I was afraid my wife would fry my tweeters by tuning with the volume up.
One additional consideration is support. Van Alstine has very good support of their products, even old ones. If you are considering the Van Alstine tuner, call Frank. He can tell what updates, if any, are available, whether he can align it for you and, if you have the serial number, how old that tuner is.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Advice on an Tuner: Dynaco FM-5 or Kenwood KT-8300 or - Flatlander 09:14:22 04/04/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.