Radio Road

Just have the best antenna you can for the stations you WANT to listen to!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Radio Road ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Tuner specs are way less useful than knowing where your 'desired stations' are - on what compass bearing - how far away - and how strong each transmitter is.

This information will tell you how good an antenna you need to receive the least strong station, at the residence where your FM tuner/receiver is.

Selectivity of your tuner is way less important than how selective your antenna is for a given station you want to listen to.

Given the almost completely utterly dire FM radio is in the USA, there will be a mere handful, or two, of stations worth bothering with.

Receiving those is NOT a function for 'the receiving system', the most important part of which is the antenna.

A 'good antenna' drives your FM receiving system into full limiting on all desired stations, and with minimal multipath effects on what reaches the FM front-end.

FM stereo is a directional system. It depends for its quite striking - possible quality - on all of the above

Viz. Do you know in what directions from you are each of 'your desired stations', what distance, over and past what obstacles, and what transmitter power?

So that you might know what relative field strength each will have at your location, and how much multi-path distortion you may need to deal with.

Antennas can be a big help with multi-path distortion.

Because, a tuner's specifications are pretty much useless unless you do understand these issues.

I'm very lucky that I'm only willing to bother with two stations down here in Canberra, Australia. My antenna is aimed at the most powerful one. Which is the one we mostly listen to.

The top one is for FM.

Almost pointless, in fact.

FM Fool website would be a good start.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Follow Ups: