Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

FM antenna splitter into "combiner"

My SONY XDR-F1HD radio has only a crude signal strength meter (1 to 3 "bars"). I only listen to one station here in Vegas and using HD. When it sounds good, the SONY really sounds good, not far off from QOBUZ.

However even when the HD signal strength shows 3 bars (the maximum for this crude display) I occasionally (have not tracked occurences carefully to establish pattern) will hear a split second of "static" or distortion or signal interruption.

As an experiment, I took an unused RF coax splitter, attached a second FM antenna, and "reveresed" the connections so that I have what is normally the "input" side of the splitter connected to the radio coax input and the two FM antennas connected to what would normally be the outputs on the splitter.

I still only see 3 bars on the HD signal strength (which is the display limit) but it does seem to have eliminated all the occasional distortion/signal interruptions.

Does this approach actually increase the signal strength into the radio coax input?

Any electrical risk to the XDR? All antennas are indoors.

Also if this approach is electrically sound (pun intended), could I use a 4 way "splitter" and use 4 antennas? I kicked the old lady out a while ago so WAF is no longer an issue... :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - FM antenna splitter into "combiner" - LtMandella 10:57:33 12/24/21 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.