Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Question about Technics ST-S4 tuner preset circuitry.

I have always liked the early-80s slim-line Technics components, and I found a very nice ST-S4 tuner this morning at the Goodwill. The price was right, and it works and sounds great. I downloaded the ST-S4 technical manual from hifiengine, but it is a bit different than my tuner.

The manual shows a battery holder with three 1.5 volt batteries to hold the preset memory. Mine doesn't have that; but it does have three 1.8v / 3.3F black and gold 'Gold Cap' capacitors at C914, C915 and C916 on the main circuit board that aren't shown in the manual, and two of them are bulging and leaking (centre/front in the photo).

Am I on the right track? They don't look difficult to replace if I can find the right ones, but I am used to capacitors that are rated in uF. These are 3.3F, and I haven't seen that before. Granted, I am no technician, so for all I know they might be quite common.

I am not allowed to have a signature line.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Question about Technics ST-S4 tuner preset circuitry. - Quadzilla 11:03:32 11/04/20 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.