Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

McIntosh MR-71 Red Stereo Beacon

So I bought a pretty nice McIntosh MR-71 tube tuner, my first McIntosh. Seller packed it not too good, It was shipped with the wood case attached and during transit it came loose, flopped around damaging the wood case, it was not too difficult to repair, wood glue and clamps, a little refinish. But the main concern is the red stereo beacon light was not functioning at all, despite having exceptional reception. I determined it was also playing in mono only. When I moved the lamp holder a bit, it would make contact with the dimmer switch, also non-functional. But the red stereo beacon would light up and it would play in stereo. So it now runs in stereo, as long as there is a connection between the + of the lamp holder and the + of the switch. Nothing heats up in the wiring and fuse is good. Any harm in leaving it like this until I can find a qualified tech to fix it? Techs are in short supply in the Portland, Oregon area, may have to travel to find someone willing to service it.

Did the MR-71 have face plate lamps behind the glass? Seems totally dark. I can't see any connections for any sort of lamps that would light up the glass/numbers.

Thomas
"I've never owned a firearm, but I do have an attack parrot!"

Edits: 07/08/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - McIntosh MR-71 Red Stereo Beacon - Cuernavaca 10:03:14 07/08/20 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.