Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

FM's "future"

"In a few years, FM will be dead, and any FM tuner will only be worth something from an "Audio Jewelry" perspective."

Getting on my soapbox.

FM is not going away. Not unless there is a country wide availability of free unlimited cell phone data, that covers every part of geography FM does today. See that happening soon? Think AT&T and Verizon are on board with that? Wifi? In a car on the highway? Free Sirius XM? don't think so.

HD radio? - a useless joke, going nowhere, fast. Those receivers require a Ibiquity royalty license fee on both transmit and receive end, that many smaller stations can't afford. Standard trim new cars under $25-30K today still don't have it.
FM (and AM) are still considered a US government emergency broadcast medium for national emergencies, and are many times more accessible to low income folks than HDTV.
I have heard people say the exact same thing here, in this forum, going back 20 years. Guess what? FM did not go away then, and won't now. Receivers are dirt cheap, reception is free, and any replacement will need to meet that standard. Not happening soon. And lastly, FM takes up such a tiny slice of bandwidth, compared to analog TV, the government will never "sell it".
Okay, stepping off. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • FM's "future" - BFitz 14:01:02 07/17/19 (1)
    • +1! - Timbo in Oz 20:12:20 07/18/19 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.