Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

How many of you have a good antenna?

As I posted below, my main tuner is a rebuilt simulcast rcvr with the power amps off.

It has a valve front-end, a Foster Seeley detector, and an SS MPX kit by "Studio 12" from the UK, which feeds a TT valve in Cfollower mode. It's in the main system, and is now driven real hard by the new antenna for which see my recent post.

I don't listen all that critically elsewhere in the house. But on both the stations I bother with it, and into all the other FM stages in use, we are in full limiting. Very quiet.

I do own one tuner, an old analogue dial Rotel. Out of use waiting to go to my son.

The rest are receivers. We have three FM wall plates in the house.

Given the parlous state of FM in the USA - so often commented on this forum - I am a teeny bit puzzled by the obsession with tuners alone - evidenced by this post - when there's almost no-one else than me posting here about antennas?

:-)

Here's my definition of a good antenna. It drives all your FM stages, on all your desired stations, into full limiting with a signal that has low multipath on it, from each desired station.

How would you know?

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 02/18/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • How many of you have a good antenna? - Timbo in Oz 21:46:40 02/18/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.