Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Mac Tuners

Thanks for all the replies. I got an MR 71 off e-bay, unmodified. The multiplex display did not work, the output jacks had a grounding hum, and the dial brightness switch was broken as well. I was unpleasantly surprised when this tuner, with no repairs, received several more listenable stations than the modafferi modded MR 71 that I bought from audio classics, using the same simple dipole antenna set-up and placement in the room as I had before.
I am now having the tuner upgraded with a new PS capacitor and other performance improvements, aligning the filters, better co-ax input, things like that. If the number of listenable stations is good enough to use as a permanent source, I will keep it, as I noted before.
If not, I will use the Marantz 2220B receiver in my bedroom system to listen to sports events not available otherwise, (AM mostly.)
By the by, the tubes in the tuner, mostly Amperex labeled McIntosh, would be worth a good deal in themselves.
A plug here: Bill Moritz of Pro Camera in Charlottesville does great work on hi fi electronics. He principally repairs electronic photo flood units and cameras for pro photographers, and restores new and vintage cameras (Leica, Contax, Hasselblad, etc.) He recently had two restored Leica M-3s in the shop (I've only seen one in my life before,) but when I went back a few weeks later, they were both gone. If you know cameras, you know M-3s are as highly prized as Marantz 10-Bs, hard to find just to look at, much less to find one for sale.
He also has a small machine shop in the back with a small mill, lathe, and drill press. A customer at the time had a real nice vintage receiver (Marantz, I think), missing a knob. Bill was fashioning a replacement from some round brass bar stock to match the others. When my ARC D52B blew up my Proac speakers some years past, he sold me a Mac MA 230, with new Blue Aero caps, that he modified via the hi-filter to bypass the (not very good) transistor preamp section in order to use the 7591a tube amp section as a stand-alone power amp. Cost: $300. I used this for several years with a CJ PV-8. I sold the 230 two years ago for $1200. He's doing the upgrades and repairs to the MR 71. Barring some strange problem, I really hope to keep it.
LowIQ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.