Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: T-4055

+1

When we became Onkyo dealers these, the matching amps and the TX xxx series receivers had just come out. There was something about the looks, front panel hue and sound that was also memorizing. They lacked detail, color the sound, did not have a wide sound stage and in general were near the bottom of the audiophile ladder. With all that, universally the sales staff loved them and almost all grabbed the TX999, TX666 or the tuner and largest amp. As for customers, the spouses seemed to LOVE the faceplate hue and found the sound pleasurable that when we later got feedback many comments included that the spouses were now using the stereo during the day. Whatever it was, the sound was just enjoyable.

Sadly, or rightly so, the next generation dramatically altered the voicing to more closely match what Yamaha later termed the Natural Sound. In comparison, while I had to admit objectively the sound attained a higher level of audiophile quality I missed the older sound. Some described it as somewhat of a tube sound but, the closest I could come that would be a new Dyna ST70 mated with a PAS3x.

The tuner was not a dx hottie by any means but a very solid performer. In the past when the questions been asked, it has been one of my suggestions. It and the matching amp look and sound wonderful for those Saturdays at the Opera and you can listen 24/7 with no fatigue. We mated them with the smaller ARs, KLH amd Wharfedales. They did not do as well with the OLA. Seemed to exaggerate that mid range suckout they have.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: T-4055 - Brian Levy 07:08:43 12/30/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.