Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

FM Future in the US?

A few years ago, analog TV broadcast bands in the US went away, and everyone was forced to switch over to digital if receiving over-the-air television broadcasts. For most people, this didn't seem to be a hardship, and the digital signals are generally a massive improvement over the past status quo.

As regards FM radio, however, the situation is a bit different. Many over-the-air stations now offer what they refer to as high-definition signals, i.e. digital, but those of us that listen to analog don't generally see this offering as an improvement. I'm a little concerned that the same thing may happen with analog FM broadcast frequencies that happened with analog television, that being it simply goes away and the frequencies are reallocated to telecom or other applications. Obviously, if this were to happen, those of us with decent quality analog tuners would be SOL.

I think it would be fair to say that people who actually care about analog FM radio broadcasts are a tiny minority in the US, so it's not likely that our protests woud carry much weight. So what are your thoughts? Is FM analog likely to be around for another ten years, or go the way of the dinosaur? I'd be interested in hearing other's thoughts and the reasons for their opinions.

TIA.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - FM Future in the US? - Todd A. 14:31:55 12/12/14 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.