Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: "radio frequencies were different enough to make the tv antenna not relevant"

A TV antenna, while not optimized for FM, should still give you more improvement than your rabbit ears, based on size of the elements, and the hight gained by the attic placement. I know I've gotten some great TV signals from my roof mounted FM Yagi antenna before.

But why not try it prior to running the cable down to the system? Take the NAD up to the cable. I was going to suggest checking the NAD 412s signal strength meter, but a quick check of the owner's manual reveals that it doesn't have one. Do you have a spare amp and speakers you could test the tuner with in the TV room?

"I suspect the transmission locations are too spread out where I live to get much use out of a directional antenna."

The transmission locations being spread out is precisely the reason you would want an adjustable directional antenna. Omni antennas are weak, at best.

Take 6bq5's advice and check your house for FM reception on FM Fool (link below), and try taking the tuner to the cable hooked to your TV antenna first, if you can.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.