Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Well, Hybrid Digital isn't FM, doesn't sound all that good, and

I can tell you that where I live, there are very few analog-only FM stations and no apparent rush to abandon the HD Radio technology. Most cars are now shipping with HD-capable receivers.

FM HD Radio has worked very well for me and the audio quality is better; no multipath, extended frequency response, more programming. We do have a couple or three local stations that actually care about the sound quality.

AM stations locally running HD Radio are just as scarce as analog-only FM stations. Not a great loss for me as there's little music programming on the AM band that I want to listen to. But I have to admit that the AM market has mostly dropped HD Radio in all but very large markets.

Although, last weekend KKXA 1520 was running full digital AM HD Radio in several test broadcasts. Far stronger signal and I was able to get HD lock. Alas, it was country music, in mono and not stereo. The audio quality was essentially equal to analog mono FM.

Given the high performance of DSP-based receiver chipsets, there's no reason even analog-only AM/FM tuners couldn't be cheaply produced. I don't think HD Radio is mandated on new equipment, but any new tuner I buy in the future will have to support digital broadcast.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.