Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Have you previously owned a tuner?

FM radio is pretty dire in most parts of the world, not just in Nth America. Down here it's mostly awful.

What does 'beat sounding for the price' mean? or did you mean to type 'best'?

Do you have any good sounding (low compression) FM stations nearby, that also transmit music you care about? We could then call these your 'desired stations'. And, where are their transmitters on the map, in relation to you?

Relating to this last issue, do you have, or propose to use, a good antenna, and aim it at each of the desired stations? IE a directional item (with more gain than a dipole) mounted up high outside - or similar in your loft space?

If no to 2 and 3 then the concept of a 'high value tuner' rather falls to bits IMO.

'Best' sound from any tuner comes only when driven by a strong signal that is also free of multi-path. And a directional antenna is essential to attain both qualities in the signal.

To put it another way - "How good an antenna will I need for those stations?"

There are lot of good enough tuners around to be satisfying for < $200. If you have stations and an antenna to suit your needs.

Noting that IF the desired stations nearby also use IBOC (aka HDRadio) you will need a tuner that can reject these sideband signals when it is receiving an FM signal.

You need to have answers to each of these issues before you choose a tuner.

Once you do the TIC site aka Tuner Information Centre is more likely to be able to help you find a tuner than anyone here. As there is a wide range of good used FM tuners, but only a handful of good new items for <$200. One of which is sold by Marantz.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 08/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.