Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

The more I think about this it would be chaper to buy a low-power FM generator and listen to CDs or high-rez

downloads via a cable straight into each of two or three tuners, via a switch. Try to overload each one and then back off the transmitter's gain.

Then choose the best of those, and then proceed eliminating, until you have found the - one - you like most.

Another way to speed up the elimination is to check at Tuner Information Center for each of your tuners and just listen to those that have really good ratings. And again chose one and perhaps one as a reserve.

If one tuner has the highest TIC rating and you don't think it's up to scratch? Still, sell all the others and fund a rebuild and alignment for it and the next best.

Than sell the rest and buy / build the best possible antenna for the stations you actually want.

IME - If you have plenty of signal strength* on all desired stations - a valve front end is best. A valve MPX stage is not essential. Good caps and Rs in the MPX are vital.

* NB most signal strength meters on most tuners are exaggerating if not lying jades. Until you do have a lot of signal - when the needle might move into the last 10% of the available arc.

Only up in that range do tuners really go quiet, and their distortion will fall too.

LBNLeast? Frankly unless you have one or two really good-sounding stations nearby - IE that use minimal processing - compression and Eq - and I believe that is rare in the USA? ...... Why bother?

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.