Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Need advice on "running" a bank of 20 turners

"by selecting the proper AUX input on my tuner," You lost me with this part of the suggestion.

I am not sure what is in the video selector. If the same as the sound in terms of wiring then it should be okay as it is simply passing through the hi-level signal to the Aux input on the preamp.

There are a couple of problems to deal with, though. 1) if trying to compare tuners, you need to pad there outputs to the same voltage and load so the level is the same. Commercial switch systems used in stores or, at least the better ones, had attenuators on each input to do this.

The antenna is a whole 'nother issue. To split an antenna signal to feed 20 tuners will require an antenna with very good gain and to do a decent job should be directional and have a rotor. So far pretty standard. The you are going to have to use a distribution amplifier to make up for the losses and maintain the impedance. A home style am I doubt will provide enough gain and minimum loss to distribute to 20 sets; I suspect you are looking at a commercial unit similar to those used in apartments, hotels, etc. and these are not inexpensive. A better way may be a switchbox where the antenna line goes in and you can switch to 1 of the 20 antenna inputs on the tuner. You will need good switches and connectors to keep loss at a minimum as the signal level is lower than even a phono preamp. This approach would preclude using 2 at a time but as you are using a switcher for the signal it would appear you intend to use only one at a time.

Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Need advice on "running" a bank of 20 turners - Brian Levy 14:48:07 06/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.