Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: mmm-hmmm

SHHHHH..... Do not keep harping on the Sherwood vs Fisher comparison or pretty soon all the name droppers on the block will want one and drive the prices up like they did with the Fishers.

FWIW, years ago I found the Sherwood tube and 1st gen SS units knocked off pretty much all of the period competition including their S8000IV being better than the 500c and IMHO, the best tube receiver made.

I did a few years ago move out my S3000IV tuner and S5000II amp in exchange for a pair of their 1st gen SS units and find them as good both spec wise and in listening.

The company did some rather unorthodox things such as making an actual realistic usable loudness contour system with their tube amp and a great, though confusing for those used to conventional systems, volume and balance control.

One thing you may want to do with the S5000 is to scope it to determine where the tone controls are truly flat rather than relying on the dead of center method. Like most tone controls dead of center is not actually defeating the controls and I have seen enough of the original controls on them to realize they are maybe the weak spot in the component quality.

The S2100 is a bit of a rare bird it seems compared to the S3000. I guess maybe back then people were still using those big old floor standing AM radios.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: mmm-hmmm - Brian Levy 05:38:01 06/05/14 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.