Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

less stereo separtaion than the MPX circuit is capable of.

IME a good way to tell is on an acoustic live broadcast miked in simple stereo, and if your T80 gives more hall sound then the new one needs adjusting. See * as well.

There's probably a separation adjustment.

Better caps will sound better, if it's getting close to 20yrs old the electros may need replacement. Bypassing the last new/still good electro PSU cap, at least, won't hurt. IME the higher the PSU storage, without stressing the PT, the better the sound. If the rails are regulated check that chip's operation, too.

The audio output stage, even if it uses a stereo chip, is worth tweaking, because the sound stands and falls there. Depends on the chip if to upgrade it. NB circuits can get a lot more out of 'underrated by 'philes chips'. Running it a bit warmer - more Class A - for example.

One definite benefit here can be getting good deep bass, given Neff's point about light bass. IF there's a 50Hz? (or lower) high-pass filter - wherever it is - ditch it. And, use a bigger (more uf) good-sounding coupling cap than is in there, in any case. * Deep bass is a factor in hall-sound.

IME of very good FM sound quality the bass can be a lot deeper than 50Hz.

My overall point is that you got the thing for so little and its potential is quite high. :-)!

How is it sounding already?

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 08/01/12 08/01/12 08/01/12 08/01/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.