Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: KBAQ Phoenix - is noise due to IBOC from HD Radio?

You can always call the radio station. HD noise is nasty and usually worst sounding than mild multhpath. Changing to mono is a good indication the station is using HD on the transmitted bandwidth skirts. Some stations are also out of compliance with extra wide HD bandwidth making the matter worst. Most stations cannot afford a good in-house tech nowadays either. Tuners with a narrow IF bandwidth (not the best sounding in narrow) or a HD immune multiplex decoder is the best bet. Some tuners use a post detector, but I do not test all designs. Google HD Radio Self Noise for more info.

If you go for an immune by design multiplexer, forget the Pioneers. The F-90 rated fairly good at fmtunerinfo is a sonic disaster even after upgrades. Ya, I had an aligned unit as I perform alignments for years.

Anyways, the Kenwood KT-990D is a seriously good sounding if a tad laid back (super smooth) sounding tuner. It is as clear sounding as a bell. The Rotel RHT-10 is excellent, but not inexpensive.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: KBAQ Phoenix - is noise due to IBOC from HD Radio? - Neff 17:53:05 03/17/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.