Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: " No tuner made can reject multipath." Discuss?

No tuner I am aware of will reject all multipath. However some tuners have a more selective RF front-end than others including a capature ratio. Capature ratio is rejection of a less strong signal on the same frequency. A capture ratio specification of 2dB is if the stronger signal is 2dB stronger than a close nearby frequency, the weaker signal will be surpessed 30dB. Usually the 30dB rating is the standard reference. I do not believe capature ratio will have much effect on multipath that is on the same frequency. Capture effect is cool on FM broadcast, totally uncool an aircraft communications as capture effect could stop critical communications. Thus, aircraft uses AM (amplitude modulation).

The best multipath reducer is a highly directional antenna. The next best is a simple rabbit ear antenna. The rabbit ear antenna can take advantage of the common FM station transmitted circular polarization by rotating to exploit deep response nulls being circular right, circular left, horizontial and vertical.

An indoor rotatable rhombic would be cool. Just never calculated the size required.

I use the inexpensive rabbit ear antenna with selective capacitor switch (tuning) as part of the kiss (keep it simple) plan. I am fortunate to have good reception in my area (both locations).

On the horizon are patents that use processing to eliminate some multipath. However, I am not sure if it may end up degrading the sonics.

One can always select mono as it is less disturbed with multipath vs stereo.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: " No tuner made can reject multipath." Discuss? - Neff 11:37:43 12/29/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.