Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Mitsubishi DA F20 and Kenwood 5020...anyone here

Hi Jim,

Now there's a pair, both very good tuners and your answer depends on your intentions and preferences. If you're talking both units "as found" no mods then your can read neff's comments below regarding his Kenwood Citation comparison, it would be very similar to what you asked about between the Kenwood & Mitsubishi. The Kenwood tends to be more analytical/dry while the Mitsu will sound fuller. Its like two very good amps, one SS the other tube.

As found the 5020 will typically be more plug & play while the Mitsu tends to be more all over the map. Remember the Mitsu is a dozen years older(1978) than the 5020(1990) ant its caps are more than likely at or near the end of their service life.

So if your intention is to get either tuner modded/refreshed after purchase then it depends on whether you prefer the F20s fuller more tubey perspective or the 5020s drier more analytical sound.

To be clear I have both, live in a suburban market with a yagi on the roof and good signal. As reference a Sansui TU-X1 sits atop the tuner heap on most days but sometimes a highly modded Kenwood KT-7500 wins the day.

Hope that helps.

John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.