Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Any plans for alignment? (nt)

The special test fixture was done, as I recall, to get the chassis up to, and held at, operating temperature. All alignments need to be done at normal "closed box" operating temperature, with all shields in place, hard to do sometimes on an open box. And the 10B area where the filter components are is below deck, closed, right?
BTW, this hold for, and includes, modern SS tuners as well. I usually warm it up, do the alignment, close box, wait a few hours, and check for changes with the box closed and warm. Then open quickly, adjust, close, and check again.
The IF alignment techniques are usually one of 3, or a combination of all 3. First, visual sweep - old way was scope and sweep generator, modern way is network analyzer of Spectrum analyzer with tracking generator. Another popular way was recently discussed at Yahoo FMTuners - the Dishall Method. See thread starting at message 68366 if you are a member there. Last, fine tuning to minimize distortion is a method usually used as the last step to fine tune once the major adjustments are made.
The method used for the 10B could have used all 3, which would require both knowledge of the normal target response (i.e. am I there?) and good test gear to do.
Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.