Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: opto-coupler problem

Hi, Rob and others:

I had this very elaborate response ready to post and just lost the whole darn thing!

Below is a resource you should carefully examine. It represents the most complete assembly of such information that I know of or have come across and it has fairly recently been made available to us for FREE on the web. THANKS TO WHOMEVER for DOING THAT!

:-)

If your opto-couplers fail, you will see a straight vertical line or a straight horizontal line on your display. A diagonal line in the stereo mode would tend to indicate either a weak signal being switched to mono or failure of the circuitry responsible for proper switching. There are bulletins about this on the site I mentioned.

In addition, there are a few little suggestions also included on this site which are very helpful to any 10-B owner. Testing and or swapping tubes may restore proper operation to the tuner. I once helped a local owner who called and told me that he could only receive signals in the upper portion of the FM spectrum. We tested tubes and discovered a weak 6DL4 in the front end and when it was replaced, this restored proper operation to his tuner.

Basically speaking, the opto-couplers contain either a single neon lamp and a pair of cadmium disulfide photo cells (CDS cells) or in the cae of the module controlling muting function, that module has inside of it only a single lamp and a single CDS cell.

You can remove them and slice them open with a jeweler's saw. Inside you will find a wafer of styrofoam with the aforementioned parts mounted through it. The whole affair is shielded from any stray light with a collar of black light-absorbant material.

I believe the aside from failure of the opto-couplers, the only other trouble involves what we call "spontaneous loss of detection". And, I jokingly say that only the guys in GhostBusters can help us all in that regard!

I have made my own replacements for the opto-couplers from parts found right off the shelf of RadioShack in the past. I do not know the exact specification for matching the CDS cells, however and have never actually seen it published.

Lastly, to my knowledge, only L&M Electronics in San Francisco, ever offered an upgrade modification for the failing optocoupler units. The owner, a fellow who goes by the name "Wally" (for Wolfgang) designed a small circuit board on the basis of some integrated chips which took the place of these funky old neon-lamp / CDS devices. In the early eighties, it would cost you $150 for that mod, and if he still offers to do this, you can only guess what it might cost you!

There are after-market home-brew replacements for the opto-couplers often made available via eBay. They are about $125 or so for three units, I believe.

I have no experience in using them nor do I have any opinion on them or the person offering them for sale.

But they are there if you need them!

Good Luck!

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.