Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

One indeed does have a bucket o' 6AV5s...

...As per original post. BTW, to me "sweep tube" means horizontal output although I suppose vertical output tubes you mention are sweep tubes too.

A lot of sweep tubes have plate dissipation ratings that far exceed the ratings of the true triodes you note. They're also usually designed for HUGE peak current capability. Just look at the size of the cathodes and the filament power requirted to heat them. I'm not sure of the audio implications of high current but if nothing else it's reassuring.

One other point is the cost of these tubes. The really high power capability versions are coveted by linear amp users (illegal CB ??) where they're run well above ratings. Since they don't last too long in this service and most linears use multiples of them to get high power, the demand is relatively high so prices are too (6LF6 and 6KD6 come to mind). The lower power versions are usually dirt cheap

At the end of the day, there certainly are easier tubes to use for audio but this being DIY, isn't that part of the challenge?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • One indeed does have a bucket o' 6AV5s... - Steve O 05:20:07 07/10/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.