Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: Your silver wire and other questions

I purchase my solid core silver wire from A-M Systems in the state of Washington. (www.a-msystems.com) This is medical grade wire for electrode use. It is drawn and double polished to be percectly round, smooth and stress resistant. It is annealed for flexibility. It comes either bare or teflon coated. The teflon coating is extremely thin.

For interconnects and within the preamp I use .o25 inch wire. I use the teflon coated wire only if I am inside a preamp. Otherwise I purchase bare wire and place it in a teflon tube 3X the diameter of the wire so that air becomes the dielectric.

This sounds awesome and requires very little break in time to sound awesome.

For a tonearm, I use .015 inch wire with teflon coating. The wire and coating ends up .019 inch. It dramatically improved the sound of my modified Rega 250 arm. I removed its black carbon paint, mounted a Michell Technoweight, and place it in the awesome Peter Riggle VTAF. This stands for vertical tracking angle on the fly. So when I am playing any album I can listen for the point where the VTA is perfect. I am amazed that just a fraction of a degree can be the difference between magic and bland sound.

I will be drawing out the schematics the best way I can on my preamp since I cannot seem to find a manual for the C7A preamp. More to follow.

As for power tubes, my Precision Fidelity runs 4 EL34 Pentodes at an extra high plate voltage with current limiters set to 20 microseconds so the amp can deliver 400 watt peaks for 20 microseconds, enough for a cymbal strike. A kick drum, or whatever is presented. I am running 100 watts per channel strapped in mono.

The amps are tubed with Golden Dragon 12AX7's and Golden Dragon EL34's. The sound is gutsy, clean and clear since the M7A amps are hybrid. I like the hybrid amp because it is so fast in the detail department. The sound is very clear and very real. I also like Audio Research hybrids, but they seem to have an upper midrange emphasis that I never hear in live music, so I grow to dislike them in short order.

I have not tried much Tube rolling in the PF Amps. Just Teles and Telsa's.

I really like the sound of SET triodes. I have heard several models that I think are outstanding. But they require horn speakers to play at the volumes I sometimes reach. And horns are a real mixed bag.

My Cremona Auditor Wanna Be DIY speakers sound amazingly close to the Sonus Faber Guarnari speaker. I run two 12 inch sub woofers that sound very much like REL's but with more authority and more crispness. Bass should growl not moan.

Thanks again for the great postings! You are a credit to the asylum and I hope you can help me achieve the most out of this circuit that I can.

Cheers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Your silver wire and other questions - tubesforever 22:26:01 06/19/05 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.