Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Regarding star wars, live music, and tube rolling

You are a man after my own heart.....

I am a musician first and foremost. I have played Piano, Clarinet, Violin, and Viola since I was 5 and that was 43 years ago. I know the sound of live music. Right in the pit of the orchestra. I also know the sound of live music as a listener in the audience.

I so totally agree with you. Live music is so much different from audio that we spend time and money to perfect.

I did love the detail and magic of the GE's. I can see why Precision Fidelity choose them as their tubes in this preamp. But all my modifications have been in silver. And pure silver is 30% more conductive than copper. I think the brightness and shrieky detail I heard were the effects of this detail exaggerated by the conductive qualities of the silver I run throughout my system.

Another asylum member has suggested that I pitch the National or Unknown 6DJ8 tubes and replace them with a known world class performing 6DJ8 and then listen again.

I whole hearily concurr.

The GE's are just really great at the speed, the naturalness, and the immediacy of live music.

They just lack the meat on the bone in my system because of the silver interconnects and internal silver wiring. So I need a better 6DJ8 and a better first stage 12AX7 and then with the GE in the final stage I should have the sound that I long for.

I really appreciate your responses. They are predicated on your knowledge of how sound is at a live event, and how the electronics reproduces it in audio gear.

Kudos to you. You are the best friend a fellow asylum could ask for in his quest to obtain audio nirvana.

Happy Fathers Day!

It is a pleasure to hear from you!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.